Nice is France’s fifth-largest city and is home to more than 338,000 people. This seems huge, but when you walk along the waterfront with the sun on your face, this city actually feels very small.
Although the city has several attractions, the beach and the nice Mediterranean weather will probably be why you visit this city. That is why we have looked at the best places to stay in Nice. When you book a hotel or appartment, you know you’re in the right place!
The old town (Old Nice)
One of the nicest places to stay is the old town. It is the centre of Nice and perhaps the most beautiful part of the city.
The most famous attraction in the old town is the flower market Cours Saleya. This attraction attracts many visitors who come for the fragrant flowers.
The old town also has beautiful cultural and architectural sights like the Eglise de Jesus and the Cathedral Saint Reparate.
What not to miss here:
- Trying all the flavours of ice cream at Fennochios. This is a famous ice cream parlour where there will probably be a long queue. And not without reason! On a hot summer day, you sometimes crave a tasty refreshment
- Visit the Musee de Beaux-arts to see the beautiful art
- Visit the Cours Saleya flower market, home to hundreds of exotic plants and flowers.
- Visit Nice Cathedral dating back to the 17th century
Want to go to Nice on a low budget? Then book an accommodation in Gambetta, a small neighbourhood on the city’s west side. This district stretches from the Mediterranean coast to the train station. It is filled with a lovely, lively atmosphere thanks to its fine restaurants, clean beaches, and the activities you can take part in.
Disneyland Paris Summer Deal
- Enjoy a summer break for £137*
- Including entry to the 2 Disney Parks for 3 days and accommodation at Disney Davy Crockett Ranch
- Arrivals between 22nd July and 1st September 2023 sharing a Pioneer Cabin
- Prices subject to change depending on time of booking
*Selected Dates & Hotel, 3 Nights, 4-Day Ticket, Price based on 2 Adults & 2 Kids, Prices subject to change at time of booking.
There is always something to do in Gambetta, including:
- Visit the Musèe Massèna, the museum of art and history, and see artworks and objects from la belle èpoque
- See the beautiful architecture of the Basilique Notre dame de Nice, Nice’s largest church
- Go dancing at Nice’s famous nightclub, L’Octopussy
- Visit the famous 20th-century hotel Negresco and enjoy the stunning views
- Take a refreshing dip in the Mediterranean Sea
On the east side of the old town lies the iconic Le port – the harbour. Stay here because of its location near the water and the boats waiting nearby to take you on a trip.
You can easily see the spectacular views of the blue sea and golden sands from any point in Le port. Some of the things to do in Le port are:
- Discover French cuisine at restaurant By PM l’atelier
- Or go for Mediterranean dishes at Daki dala
- Visit the Galerie LYMPIA if you like unique works of art
- Stroll to the Place ill de Beaute and get stunning views of Nice and the iconic old port
- Walking through the port is also great fun, by the way
If you like a bit more entertainment during your visit, stay in Jean Mèdecin, a new neighbourhood in Nice. This city centre district is known for its chic boutiques and many shops. You will find lively cafés, top restaurants, great bars, and world-class museums with works by famous artists. If you are an art lover, this is the ideal place.
This district usually comes alive when the sun goes down. It is one of many great nightlife hotspots, as locals and tourists flock to this city to eat, drink and be merry. You can dance the night away in a club or enjoy a cocktail in a chic bar.
Some of the fun things to do in Jean Mèdecin are:
- Enjoy live music and drinks on a night out
- Dance the night away at Le Glam to the most iconic house and pop music
- Relax while enjoying cool jazz at Le Kosma
- Enjoy the view from the 9th floor of Le Mèridien hotel
- Step out at Le Choko, a great downtown dance club
- Lean back and enjoy an afternoon of sunshine on the Promenade du Pallion
- Go shopping at Galeries Lafayette and Nice Etoile, one of the best shopping centres
History buffs will enjoy Cimiez, a historic district. One of its most famous sights is the ancient Roman outpost.
To this day, Cimiez remains as relaxing and peaceful as ever. This neighbourhood is perfect for families with children, thanks to its lush and spacious parks, elegant villas, and sophisticated streets. Children can roam and play freely.
Some of the things to do in this neighbourhood:
- Have a picnic at Parc des Arenes de Cimiez, a park with lush landscapes and ancient Roman ruins
- Visit Musée Marc Chagall and Musée Matisse and discover the works of these French artists
- Go to Resto Côte Sud and enjoy French cuisine
- See the Roman ruins at the Musée Archèologique de Nice Cimiez
These were the best places to stay in Nice. As you can see, the city has a lot to offer. No matter who you come with, there is always a nice place to stay.
Nice has accommodations for every budget. So what are you waiting for? Visit this beautiful French city!